After sanding, the panels were primed for painting. Before the final paint job, I need to install all the fasters.
Notice the faux windows in the side panels are blacked out. This is so they look mostly like the real ones when the YARDIS’s door is closed.
To attain the weathered/frosted glass look (from inexpensive acrylic plexi) for the window panes, I just took a hand sander to it loaded with 60 grit sand paper. To avoid melting the plastic I wet the surface first.
This will give you an idea of what it will look like.
Katie was kind enough to let me take over the kitchen island for the day while I assemble the rest of the YARDIS in preparation for test-fitting the roof. This operation also served to figure out where I will put all the fasteners. The goal is to make it assemble/disassemble like knock-down furniture. Otherwise, it would be impossible to move to another room or even another house. I made sure to put hinges on the door so she could practice going in and out of her new toy. She’s had an ear to ear grin all week.
Never one to go the easy route, I opted to give her YARDIS a sloped roof. Lexi helped me coat the thing in primer. This is the first thing I’ve ever built where aesthetics mattered, so I used wood putty to fill the gaps and sanded everything down first.
Katie has gotten into knitting and crocheting, amassing a formidable yarn collection in the process. We needed a lot of storage space, so I opted for a T.A.R.D.I.S. as it is bigger on the inside. I borrowed heavily from WWMM, with a few modifications so it is actually structurally sound (instead of just a prop.)
Lexi loves learning and making things with me, so I brought her in on the project. She’s doing a wonderful job!
Pretty cool and smart Canadian couple. They decided to live out of their van while traveling and working remotely for over 6 months. It’s also really cool to see a couple that spends so much time together. I love people that do/try different things like this!